Saturday, March 20, 2010

so, they say my great grandmother was a witch. a white witch. i totally dont know the difference between the colors of witches, but they said my great grandmother could heal people. now, it easily couldve been that my great grandmother, effie, had a specific knowledge of herbs and the great people of northern maine couldnt understand it. there is only person i know thats alive who has witnessed effies powers. and thats my mom.

my mom is the youngest of 5 kids. she has 2 older brothers, and two older sisters. my grandparents would always go to maine. it was just a vacation spot, it was a second home. my great grandmother and great grandfather lived in small home in the town of smryna mills, maine. it was on a road called rebel hill. rebel hill is a strange place. theres tons of crazy stories i have about rebel hill, but this is just one.

rebel hill is pretty desolate, but when my mom was young, there was constantly kids up there to hang out with, to play in the old potato barns with, and to participate in general tomfoolery with. one particular summer afternoon, my mom was running around with this little boy. they were playing around an old potato barn. the memory is a little bit fuzzy in my moms head of how this boy got hurt, but she remembers the wound. the boy had somehow gotten a huge piece of wood impaled into his arm. he was bleeding, turing white and crying like a banshee. my mom yelled for effie, and she found the boy lying on the ground.

effie said nothing, she just held the boy in her arms. she placed her hands over the wound and started mumbling. my mom couldnt understand what she was saying. it was like another language. the boy stopped crying. the boy stopped bleeding.

i dont know what happened to the boy after that. i dont know if he went to the hospital to get the piece of wood removed or anything like that. i do know that my greatgrandmother has been dead for almost my whole lifetime. i do know that whenever i go to smryna mills, effie is still talked about. effie the witch. effie my great grandmother.

No comments:

Post a Comment